Delicious LinkedIn Facebook Twitter RSS Feed

Aswang as a Myth in Capiz

Folklore is the body of expressive culture, including tales, music, dance, legends, oral history, proverbs, jokes, popular beliefs, customs, and so forth within a particular population comprising the traditions (including oral traditions) of that culture, subculture, or group. It is also the set of practices through which those expressive genres are shared.

Source: Wikipedia



One of the reason why the captivating Capiz Province is well known to the other Filipinos, not for the reason that Capiz is the “Sea Food Capital of the Philippines”, but for also for the word “ASWANG”. What with this Aswang???

Aswang is a ghoul in Filipino Folklore. They are most feared of the supernatural creatures in the Philippines which has some variety of stories and myths. This feared creature is very well known in Western Visayan regions such as the Province of Capiz, Iloilo and Antique. They are sometimes called as Tik-tik or Wak-wak in some places in Capiz.

As I remember when I was still a child, my elders told me that If I will not go home early from outside playing with my friends I will be eaten by Aswangs. As I grow older I realize that Aswang is not really existing at all. Some elders are doing that and telling some Aswang stories in their children to keep them off the streets and keep them home at night.

Whenever some Filipino’s heard that you are from the captivating Province of Capiz. Their first impression is you are an “Aswang”. Some of them are afraid to be accompanied by CapizeƱo just because they are afraid to be eaten. But actually I been here in the captivating Capiz and I already reached at this age, 19 years old, but still until now I didn’t see Aswang yet.

With this captivating Capiz, this will help to realize some Filipinos that instead keep in their mind that Aswang is existing, why don’t they discover some captivating places in Capiz not only places but also some cultures, events and architecture which we can consider as one of the Pride of the Island of the Philippines.